A Scientific Advisory Board consisting of nine members has been created to safeguard the scientific quality of the work. During the program they will meet regularly and assess its progress.
- Prof. dr. E.A. (Elizabeth, Liz) Buettner, professor of Modern History at the University of Amsterdam, with a special interest in late-colonialism and decolonization.
- Prof. dr. R. (Robert) Cribb, professor of Asiatic History, Australian National University, specializing in the history of Indonesia.
- Prof. dr. P.M.H. (Petra) Groen, previously special professor of Military History at the University of Leiden, now senior researcher at NIMH, specialist in the military history of the Dutch Indies.
- Prof. dr. L. (Larissa) van den Herik, professor of International Public Rights, University of Leiden, and (among others) vice chair of the Advice Commission on Questions of Human Rights.
- Prof. dr. J. (Jan) Hoffenaar, chair, professor of Military History at the University of Utrecht, head of research at NIMH, specialist in post-1945 military history.
- Luitenant-general b.d. M. (Mart) de Kruif, (among others) commandant ISAF for Southern Afghanistan (2008-2009) and Ground Forces Commandant (2011-2016).
- Prof. dr. B. (Bambang) Purwanto, special professor of Southeast Asian History at the University of Leiden, vice-counsellor of the Faculty of Cultural Sciences, Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta.
- Prof. dr. H. (Henk) Schulte Nordholt, special professor of Indonesian History at the University of Leiden, head of research at KITLV.
- Prof. dr. H. (Henk) te Velde, professor of Fatherland History at the University of Leiden.